Asparagus and Artichoke Paella
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice quick cook
- 14 oz tomatoes canned, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth ***Click on the Vegetable Broth recipe link
- 1 cup red bell pepper seeded, chopped
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper seeded, chopped
- 1 cup leek trimmed, cut 3/4' pieces
- 3 1/2 oz asparagus thin, trimmed, cut 1' pieces
- 1 tsp chili flakes dried
- 10 oz artichoke hearts jarred, in oil, drained
- 4 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed, no sugar added or preservatives
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper fresh cracked
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over low-medium heat then sauté the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add in the brown rice, stirring to coat in the olive oil.
- Add in the tomatoes and vegetable broth then bring saucepan to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the bell peppers, leak, and asparagus and cook for another 10 minutes, until vegetables are fork tender.
- Drain the artichoke hearts in a fine mesh strainer under hot water. Gently stir into the paella.
- Stir in chili peppers, lemon juice, salt and pepper then portion into serving bowls. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and enjoy.