BBQ Tempeh with Peach Sandwiches
- 8 oz tempeh packaged
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce low sugar, low sodium
- 1 peach large
- 4 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise plant-based
- 1/4 cup basil fresh, packed, finely chopped
- 2 buns sandwich buns no bleached flour
- 1 cup leafy greens
- Cut the tempeh into 2 or 3 blocks and place it in a microwave-safe dish with a lid. Pour the water over the tempeh, making sure it all gets wet, though it doesn't have to be covered with water. Put the lid on the dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tempeh from the dish and cut into 1/2 inch cubes and place them into a bowl. Add the barbecue sauce and stir to coat. Set aside to marinate for about 14 minutes.
- Slice the peach into rounds after slicing down the middle to remove the pit first.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tsp of the oil over medium to high heat. Coat both sides of the peach with the agave and sear them for a couple of minutes on each side, or until they caramelize and are soft on the outside yet still firm. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Make the basil mayo by mixing the finely chopped basil into the mayo.
- In a large pan, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Transfer the BBQ marinated tempeh to the pan and cook until browned on all sides and heated through for about 8 to 10 minutes. Add a couple of table spoons of water to the pan if tempeh begins to stick.
- Build your sandwiches with a slather of basil mayo on each side of the bun, a couple of slices of peach, a handful of leafy greens and the BBQ tempeh. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Serves well with fresh fruit.