Black Bean Polenta Pattie Cakes
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance Butter
- 15 oz can of black beans drained
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup red or yellow bell pepper diced small
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Using a fork, mash the black beans until about halfway mashed. Set aside.
- Using 2 tbsps of the butter, coat the bottom and sides of a loaf pan.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil and add in the cornmeal, mixing well.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to keep from sticking or burning on the bottom.
- Stir in the bell pepper and all the spices. Continue to cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the remaining butter and black beans, mixing well.
- Gently press the bean mixture into the loaf pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Chill for at least 1 hour or until firm. Reheat, slice, and serve.
Serve with homemade salsa for a delicious treat!