Coconut Lentil Curry
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin, divided
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed, under cold water
- 7 oz spinach fresh
- 2 cups vegetable broth ***Click on the Vegetable Broth recipe link
- 14 oz tomatoes canned, crushed
- 1 1/2 cup eggplant peeled, deseeded, cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 14 oz coconut milk
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium to high heat. Add the cumin seeds and toast until they darken in color and become fragrant. Mix in the onion and saute for about 7 minutes, then add garlic and curry powder.
- Add the lentils, spinach, vegetable broth, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer and cook for 16 to 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but not falling apart.
- In another large pan heat the remaining oil to medium high heat and cook the eggplant till tender along with 1/2 tsp of salt for about 10 minutes.
- When the lentils are ready, add the eggplant mixture, coconut milk, and the remaining salt. Mix well and let cook together for about 4 minutes to let the flavors meld. Serve and enjoy!
Serves well with sliced lime, chopped fresh cilantro, or with a no-bleach flour naan.