Curry Style Potato and Peas
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 3 cups sweet potato large chunks
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 1 cup tomato crushed, fire roasted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat then toast the cumin seeds for about a minute. Stir in the garam masala and onion; continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, curry, and chili powder and saute for 3 minutes more. Then stir in the sweet potato chunks and water then bring the heat up to a boil.
- Once the pot begins to boil, lower the heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are tender. The water will boil down, but do not let it cook all the way dry.
- When the potatoes are fork tender, add the peas and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes more, until the peas are done.
- Before serving, add salt to taste. Enjoy!
Serves well with a piece of whole wheat Naan bread.