Fruity Whole Grain Cereal
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pearl barley uncooked, quick cooking
- 1/4 cup brown rice uncooked, instant
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup golden raisins chopped
- 1/4 cup plums dried, chopped
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/4 cup almonds slivered, toasted
- Bring water and salt to a boil in medium sized saucepan over high heat. Add barley and rice then reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Mix in the soy milk, raisins, plums, oats, oat bran, date syrup, and cinnamon. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture is creamy and grains are al dente, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of toasted almonds on top. Enjoy!