Garden Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup carrot peeled, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning ***Click on Italian Seasoning Recipe link
- 1/2 tsp black pepper fresh cracked
- 8 cups vegetable broth ***see our Homemade Vegetable Broth recipe link
- 28 oz tomatoes canned, chopped, with juices
- 1/2 cup pearl barley uncooked
- 1 cup green beans ends trimmed, 1' inch pieces
- 1/2 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup basil fresh, slivered
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed, no sugar added or preservatives
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat then saute the onion, carrot, and celery for about 8 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, tomato paste, garlic, salt, Italian seasoning, black pepper, broth and tomatoes with juices; bring to a boil then stir in the barley.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans and corn and cook for another 15 minutes. Lastly stir in the basil and lemon juice then serve immediately while hot. Enjoy!