- Food Processor
- 3 tbsp Earth balance butter
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 3/4 tsp paprika powder divided
- 1 tbsp soy sauce low sodium, NO SODIUM BENZOATE
- 1/4 cup sparkling water
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/3 cup flour non bleached flour
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 buns sandwich buns no bleached flour
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper cut into strips
- 2 cups white onion diced, divided
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in large pan on med to high heat. Saute 1/2 cup of onions and garlic till soft. Add in the cumin and fennel seeds and cook till the spices are fragrant and toasted.
- In a food processor, add the onion-garlic mix, chickpeas, tomato paste, thyme, soy sauce, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/8 tsp of salt, and sparkling water. Pulse until saucy, then add vital wheat gluten; pulse again until a ball forms.
- Add a steaming basket to a large pot and fill with a couple of inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Divide the ball into 8 equal chunks, then add to the steaming basket. Steam for 20 minutes, flip, then continue to steam for another 20 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter in another small pot over low heat. Add the remaining salt, paprika, turmeric, and curry. Whisk in flour and nutritional yeast till clumpy.
- Add in the water and whisk on low heat for 1 to 2 minutes until sauce forms. Set aside.
- Remove chunks from steaming basket and let cool before slicing into thin strips. In a separate large frying pan add the remaining onions, and peppers; cook down till soft. Add in the newly cut strips of "steak" and mix.
- Fill sandwich buns with "steak" mix and top with "cheese". Enjoy!
Serves well with baked sweet potato fries.