Sweet Potato Ropa Vieja
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cups sweet potato peeled, shredded
- 28 oz tomatoes crushed
- 1 cup vegetable broth ***Click on our Homemade Vegetable Broth link
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 leaves bay
- 2 tsp oregano dried
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1/2 tsp black pepper fresh cracked
- 6 servings brown rice long-grained, cooked
- 6 slices lime fresh
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large pan; then saute the onion until translucent about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, and bell pepper and continue to saute until the peppers soften.
- Reduce the heat to medium low then stir in the rest of the ingredients; cover the pan. Cook for about 16 to 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft yet retains its shape. Make sure to stir the pan every couple of minutes to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve with individual servings of brown rice with a slice of lime for a zesty addition. Enjoy!
Take your meal on the go with a whole-wheat tortilla or wrap.