- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 whole green bell pepper chopped
- 1 whole red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 cup vegetable broth ***Click on our Homemade Vegetable Broth link
- 1 1/2 cups water filtered
- 1 15oz can can of diced tomatoes no preservatives
- 1 15oz can can of kidney beans drained and rinsed, no preservatives
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- In a large stock pot with a lid, sauté the garlic, onion, and bell peppers in the olive oil until veggies are soft. Stir in barley and lightly brown.
- Lower the heat to medium low and add in the vegetable broth, water, tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 35 more minutes. Stir frequently.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.