Veggie Rice and Beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup green bell pepper minced
- 1/2 cup carrot minced and shredded
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups red beans small, dried
- 1 cup sweet potato diced
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning no salt added
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper fresh cracked
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice long-grained, uncooked
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a 4 quart large pot; then saute the onions, garlic, green bell pepper and carrot. Saute until the green bell pepper and carrot begin to get tender; about 6 minutes.
- Add the water, beans, sweet potato, Cajun seasoning, and liquid smoke to the pot. Bring to a boil; cover then reduce heat to a simmer on low for about 2 hours.
- Stir the pot at least once every half hour to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom of the pot. The beans and sweet potato should be soft and fork tender once cooked.
- Cook the brown rice as directed for the amount on package. Keep covered once cooked and set to the side for later plating.
- Dish the brown rice into individual bowls followed by a ladle of the beans. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Serves well with a garden salad for a cool contrast to this warming meal.