Wheat Berry Apple Salad
- 1 cup wheat berries uncooked
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1/2 cup green apple diced
- 1/2 cup red apple diced
- 1/3 cup walnuts toasted
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup orange juice fresh squeezed, no sugar added or preservatives
- 2 tbsp orange peel grated
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp mint fresh, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 12 leaves butter lettuce
- Soak the wheat berries in water overnight in the refrigerator then drain and set aside for later.
- Heat a large saucepan with 2 inches of water over high heat along with the wheat berries and 1/2 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil, stir then reduce the heat to low. Cover with a lid and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour; stir occasionally. Drain and let cool.
- Place the wheat berries, apples, cranberries, walnuts, celery, orange peel, orange juice, vinegar, mint, olive oil and remaining salt in a large bowl; mix well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Serve salad over a couple of butter lettuce leaves. Enjoy!