Wild Rice with Cranberries and Apples
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1/3 cup orange juice fresh squeezed, no added sugar or preservatives
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1 apple diced
- 1/8 tsp salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot with a lid, sauté celery and onions in the olive oil on medium high until soft.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in wild rice, water and vegetable broth. bring to a slow simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in orange juice and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes or until rice is done and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in cranberries. Cover again and let rest for 5-7 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.