Zesty Lemon Rice with Spinach
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3/4 cup brown rice uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 8 oz can tomato paste
- 2 bunches fresh spinach trimmed
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice no added sugar or preservatives
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet with a lid, sauté onions and garlic in the olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add the brown rice and stir constantly to lightly toast.
- Add water and mix well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, spinach and parsley. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted, rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Add in lemon juice, salt and pepper.