Chipotle Grilled Cheese and Caramelized Onions
Everyones favorite Grilled Cheese just got kicked up a notch!! Can you say BOOM!!!
- Large Pan
- Small Saucepan
- 2 each sweet onions
- 1 dash baking soda no more than 1/8 tsp
- 1 tbsp Plant-based butter Earth Balance butter
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup pre-soaked cashews
- 3 each chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinigar
- 1 large tomato
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sourdough bread
- Place large pan over medium heat.
- Slice the onions as thinly as possible.
- Melt 1 tbsp of your vegan butter in hot pan and add in your sliced onions. Sprinkle and stir in a very small amount of baking soda to help the carmalization process. Cook for around 3 minutes, stirring often to keep from burning.
- Grab your blender and add the water, cashews, tapioca flour, garlic, yeast, chipotles, agave, salt, vinegar and chili powder. Blend on high until creamy smooth.
- Next, add your brown sugar to the carmalized onions and cook until a golden brown. Then add in the balsamic vinegar, reduce heat to medium-low and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Place a small saucepan over medium-high heat and let heat up for a minute or so. Pour in the cheese mixture and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan and sides to keep from burning until the lumps are gone. Cheese should be nice and gooey.
- Remove your onions from the pan to a bowl and place pan back over medium heat.
- Slice your tomato to the thickness of your liking.
- Time to build your sandwich by adding some cheese mixture, a couple slices of tomato and a good amount of the carmalized onions. Spread some plant-based butter on the outside of the sandwich and place in the heated pan. Cook until golden brown.