Hot Diggity Dogs
Fights Diabetes: Low Sugars!
- Food Processor
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp soy sauce low sodium, NO SODIUM BENZOATE
- 1/4 cup sparkling water
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 4 buns hot dog buns whole wheat, no bleached flour, no preservatives
- In a large pan heat the canola oil to medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic till soft.
- Stir in cumin and fennel seeds cooking till spices are toasted.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas, onion garlic mix, tomato paste, salt, thyme, paprika, soy sauce, and water; pulse until sauce like. Add vital wheat gluten to sauce and mix until a ball forms.
- Add a steaming basket to a large pot with a couple of inches of water. Bring to a boil.
- Divide the ball mixture into 4 equal parts. Roll and press each part into a "sausage" shape. Cut 4 pieces of parchment paper and 4 pieces of foil. Wrap each "sausage" in a piece of parchment paper, then in a piece of foil, twist off at the ends.
- Place each bundle in a steamer basket and cook for about 20 minutes, flip then cook another 20 minutes.
- Remove from basket and let cool before removing from foil.
- Place in hot dog buns and cover with your favorite condiments. Enjoy!
Serves up well with baked sweet potato fries.
Nutrition with Essential Amino Acids
Hot Diggity Dogs
Amount Per Serving (1 Serving)
Calories 259.48 Calories from Fat 41
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 0.28g2%
Vitamin A 69.89IU1%
Vitamin B1 0.01mg1%
Vitamin B2 0.12mg7%
Vitamin B3 1.44mg7%
Vitamin B5 0.03mg0%
Vitamin B6 0.08mg4%
Vitamin C 2.72mg3%
Vitamin E 0.51mg3%
Vitamin K 3.9µg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Some amino acids levels are estimated, some product manufacturers do not supply amino acid values. The value source usda.gov.