Hot Diggity Dogs
- Food Processor
- 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp soy sauce low sodium, NO SODIUM BENZOATE
- 1/4 cup sparkling water
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 4 buns hot dog buns no bleached flour
- In a large pan heat the canola oil to medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic till soft.
- Stir in cumin and fennel seeds cooking till spices are toasted.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas, onion garlic mix, tomato paste, salt, thyme, paprika, soy sauce, and water; pulse until sauce like. Add vital wheat gluten to sauce and mix until a ball forms.
- Add a steaming basket to a large pot with a couple of inches of water. Bring to a boil.
- Divide the ball mixture into 4 equal parts. Roll and press each part into a "sausage" shape. Cut 4 pieces of parchment paper and 4 pieces of foil. Wrap each "sausage" in a piece of parchment paper, then in a piece of foil, twist off at the ends.
- Place each bundle in a steamer basket and cook for about 20 minutes, flip then cook another 20 minutes.
- Remove from basket and let cool before removing from foil.
- Place in hot dog buns and cover with your favorite condiments. Enjoy!
Serves up well with baked sweet potato fries.