Indian Rice Pilaf
- 1 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup basmati rice uncooked
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed, no sugar or preservatives
- .1 cup yellow raisins
- 2 tbsp green onions chopped
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat mustard seeds in the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in turmeric and rice. Toast rice stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in water and mix well. Bring to a low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is done.
- Reduce heat to low and mix in peas and lemon juice. Heat for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in remaining ingredients.
For a touch of spice, sprinkle the top with a bit of cilantro.