Zesty Smoked Mac 'N' Cheese
Super quick and creamy mac 'n' cheese that will have even the pickiest of kiddos saying "more please".
- Small Saucepan
- Large Saucepan
- 2/3 cup raw cashews help save time by using pre-soaked cashews
- 2 cups pasta shells lentil or chickpea pasta for even healthier options
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup loosely packed sun-dried tomatoes no need to boil if using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil/
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6 basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Add 8 cups of water to large saucepan, 3 cups of water to small saucepan and place both over high heat. Add Cashews to small saucepan and boil until softened for 10 minutes.
- Once water is boiling in large saucepan, add the pasta shells, 1/16 tsp salt and boil according to the package instructions. Shortly passed al dente remove from heat and drain.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes to the boiling cashews with 2 minutes left. Once the final 2 minutes are up, drain and reserve the water.
- Place 2 cups of the reserved water along with the cashew and sun-dried tomato mixture into high-powered blender. Add the yeast, flour, garlic, salt, basil, paprika and red pepper flakes and blend on high for about 2 minutes, until creamy or desired smoothness.
- Place the pasta pan over medium-high heat. Pour the cheese mixture from blender into pan and stir for 2 minutes making sure to get all the sides and continue stirring until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Pour pasta into cheese sauce mixture and continue stirring for another 2 minutes until desired thickness. Serve immediately adding in Sea Salt and Pepper to taste.