Chickpeas & Okra over Brown Rice
Quick and simple recipe that will surely make everyone happy. If you like a little spice, feel free to add in a little cayenne pepper.
- Medium Pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp grated garlic
- 1 1/2 cups sliced okra
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 15oz can chickpeas drained
- chopped chiles to taste
- chopped cilantro to taste
- In medium pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add in onion and cook until soft and translucent.
- Mix in all of the salt and spices, cook an additional minute.
- Add in the sliced okra, coat with the remaining oil. Continue cooking until the mixture begins to slightly blacken.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger.
- Add in the tomatoes and mix well. Let simmer for about 5 minutes or so and let the tomatoes start to brown a bit.
- Stir in the chickpeas and let simmer for an additional 15 minutes stirring often. If it starts to lose it's moisture, add in a little water to reach your desired texture.
- Garnish with the freshly chopped chiles and cilantro. Serve over your favorite brown rice or use as a side dish to compliment another dish.