Curry and Chickpeas with Spinach
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance Butter
- 3/4 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 15 oz canned chickpeas undrained
- 2/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 1 bunch fresh spinach cleaned and trimmed
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic in the butter. Cook until onions are soft, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and mix in coriander and cumin. Continue to cook an additional minute or so, browning the spices.
- Stir in chickpeas with liquid in can, tomato paste, curry powder, turmeric, and salt. Bring to a slow simmer. Cook until most of the liquid has been cooked out, about 10 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally. Mix in lemon juice.
- Add in spinach to mix well. Continue to cook until spinach begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
For a spicier taste, add in some red pepper flakes!