- 6 1/2 cups vegetable broth ***Click on the Vegetable Broth recipe link
- 2 1/2 cups red lentils dried
- 1 whole red chilli chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric ground
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance butter
- 2 cups onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp ginger fresh, grated
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro fresh, chopped
- Heat the vegetable brothin a large pot over high heat then add in the lentils, chopped chili, and turmeric; bring to a boil.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender while stirring occasionally to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over low-medium heat then sauté the onion for about 10 minutes until golden brown. Mix in the garlic, cumin seeds, and ginger while continuing to cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add in the onion and spice mixture to the lentils, along with the chopped tomatoes. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes, until tomatoes are softened.
- Serve scattered with fresh cilantro.
Serve with warmed whole wheat Naan bread.