Farmhouse Veggie and Barley Soup
Fights Diabetes: Low Sugars!
Immune: Helps Build the Immune!
- Dutch Oven
- Spice Grinder
- 8 sprigs parsley fresh
- 4 sprigs thyme fresh
- 1 leaf bay
- 1/8 oz porcini mushrooms dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 1/2 lb leeks washed, sliced 1/2' thick
- 1 cup carrots peeled, 1/2' pieces
- 1/2 cup celery 1/4' pieces
- 2 tsp soy sauce low sodium, NO SODIUM BENZOATE
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper fresh cracked
- 6 1/2 cup vegetable broth ***Click on our Homemade Vegetable Broth link
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cup potatoes Yukon Gold, peeled, 1/2' pieces
- 1/2 cup turnip peeled, 1/2' pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage green, chopped
- 1 cup peas frozen
- 1 tsp lemon juice fresh squeezed, no sugar added or preservatives
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
- Using kitchen twine, tie parsley sprigs, thyme sprigs, and bay leaf together. Grind the dried porcini mushrooms in a spice grinder until finely ground.
- Heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven over medium heat then sauté the leeks, carrots, celery, soy sauce, salt, and pepper for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the water, broth, barley, garlic, herb bundle, and ground porcini then increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook partially uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, turnip, and cabbage and simmer until cabbage and veggies are tender about 18-20 minutes. Remove pot from the heat, discard herb bundle then stir in peas, lemon juice and chopped parsley. Enjoy!