Hearty Barley Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 8 cups vegetable broth ***Click on our Homemade Vegetable Broth link
- 1 cup barley uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups mixed vegetable frozen
- 14 oz diced tomatoes canned
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 tsp salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, sauté onions, carrots, and celery in the olive oil until onions are slightly soft.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add in the remaining ingredients except salt and pepper.
- Cover and allow to simmer for additional 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and continue to cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves. Pour soup into serving bowls and season with salt and pepper to taste.