Mushroom and Farro Stew
Diabetes: Low Sugars!
Hypertension: Low Sodium!
- Dutch Oven
- 4 cups vegetable broth ***Click on our Homemade Vegetable Broth link
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper fresh cracked
- 2 cups mushrooms Portobello caps, sliced 1/2' wide
- 1 cup mushrooms assorted, trimmed, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup onion chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp thyme fresh, minced
- 14.5 oz tomatoes canned, drained, diced, fire roasted
- 2 tbsp parsley fresh, minced
- Bring broth and farro to simmer in a large saucepan and cook until farro is tender and creamy about 22-25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover and keep warm.
- Combine the Portobello and assorted mushrooms in a covered bowl and microwave until tender about 6-8 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven over medium-high heat then sauté the onions for about 7 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes until browned
- Mix in the garlic, thyme, and tomatoes; continue to cook another 8 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Remove pot from the heat, stir in parsley then serve atop farro. Enjoy!