- 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein small crumbles
- 2 zucchini medium to large
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance butter
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning ***Click on Italian Seasoning Recipe link
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce low sodium, NO SODIUM BENZOATE
- 1/4 tsp black pepper cracked
- Place the textured vegetable protein in a bowl full of water to rehydrate and set aside.
- Poke holes all over the zucchini with a fork and place on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high in 2 minute intervals, flipping each time, until they are tender and can be pierced easily with a knife. Remove from the microwave to cool.
- In a large pan heat the butter over medium to high heat. Add the onion and garlic, saute until transparent for about 5-7 minutes. Add the mushrooms and brown on all sides.
- Drain the TVP and add to the pan along with paprika, cumin, chili powder, and Italian seasoning. Stir well; letting cook for another 2 minutes to release the fragrance.
- Continue to add the soy sauce, tomato sauce then reduce the heat to low.
- Slice the zucchini in half and scoop out the pulp with a spoon. Roughly chop the pulp and add back into the pan and stir well.
- Plate zucchini half's and fill with mixture and top with black pepper. Enjoy!
Serves well with plant-based sour cream, diced avocado, or fresh chopped cilantro.