Tofu Taco Burrito Bowl
- 1 cup long-grained brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice fresh squeezed
- 8 oz tofu extra-firm
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin, divided
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper seeded, finely diced
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce +
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper cracked
- 1 1/2 cup black beans canned, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup tomato diced
- In a pot over high heat add the rice, and salt. Bring to a boil and use cooking time as directed on package. Ten minutes before end of cook time add the lime zest.
- Once cooked add the lime juice and cilantro to the pot and fluff with a fork. Keep covered with a lid while you cook your other vegetables.
- Drain the tofu and squeeze out any excess water then crumble with hands or a fork.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat and add the onion. Saute for about 7 minutes, or until transparent, then add garlic and bell pepper. Continue to cook till bell pepper is tender, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the same pan at same temperature and add tofu. Stir until slightly browned on all sides for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Add the bell pepper mixture back to the pan and mix well. Season pan with salt and pepper.
- Build the bowls with the cilantro-lime rice, tofu mixture, beans, tomato, and any toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
Serves well with diced avocado, chopped lettuce, and plant-based sour cream.