Veggie Mexican Rice
- 1 cup long grain brown rice uncooked
- 1 cup tomato roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion roughly chopped
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 cup red bell pepper seeded, diced small
- 1 cup zucchini diced very small
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 15.5 oz black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth *** Click on vegetable broth recipe link
- 1/2 Lime fresh-squeezed
- 1 cup avocado peeled, pitted, diced
- Follow instructions on brown rice package on how to cook.
- Meanwhile, when rice is cooking, combine the tomato, onion, and garlic into a blender. Puree until liquefied . If the result is less than 1 cup of liquid, add a bit of vegetable broth.
- Once the rice is completed, move the rice to a large 3qt pot. Add the cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, bell pepper, zucchini, corn, black beans, tomato puree, and stock to the pot. Bring to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat, cooking for approximately 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove the pot from the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. If all of the liquid has been absorbed but the rice is a bit underdone, leave it to stand, covered, for another 5 minutes.
- Add squeezed lime juice, mix well.
- Top with avocado.
Serve with lime slices, fresh cilantro, green onion, or plant based sour cream.