- 1 onion diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 large or medium zucchini sliced
- 14 oz canned tomatoes diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth ***Click on our Homemade Vegetable Broth link
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 oz kidney beans low sodium, canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups rice cooked
- In a large stock pot, sauté the onions, bell pepper, and celery in the olive oil for just a couple of minutes, until onions and peppers are slightly soft. Reduce heat. Stir in remaining ingredients except the rice and beans. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in bean. Cook for an additional 5 minutes to warm the beans. Remove bay leaves.
- Pour bean mixture over cooked rice and serve.