Bean and Barley Soup
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 5 cups vegetable broth ***Click on the Vegetable Broth recipe link
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup carrot peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning ***Click on Italian Seasoning Recipe link
- 14 oz tomatoes canned, diced, reduced sodium
- 2 cups leafy kale
- 1 1/2 cups white beans canned, drained, rinsed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp black pepper cracked
- Rinse the barley under cold water and place in a large, deep pot with a lid. Cook the barley in the vegetable broth and cook the barley as directed on the package.
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Combine the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add to the pot once done.
- Mix in the Italian seasoning, tomatoes, kale, and salt. Bring to a boil and cover; reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in the beans, lemon juice and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes then serve hot. Enjoy!
Serves well with a nice garden salad.